According to a study, Oxycontin, Percocet and Vicodin have caused more overdose deaths than heroin and cocaine combined. It is safe to say that opioids are not an ideal option when dealing with pain, and that’s why drug-free chiropractic care is choice people should make instead.
A study found that more that 70 percent of doctors prescribe painkillers for back pain rather than drug-free treatments like chiropractic care. Now, in effort to create a more stern general consensus, the CDC and FDA have strongly recommended the use of drug-free treatments to treat chronic pain, rather than opioids. Patients of chiropractic care have said they are experiencing better outcomes, functionality, and satisfaction.
Although evidence strongly supports chiropractic care being the ideal option, painkiller use is still high. Americans account for only 4.6 percent of the world’s population, yet consume 80 percent of the global opioid supply and 99 percent of the global hydrocodone supply, reports the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians.
Why Are Opioids So Dangerous?
Pain relief from opioids is only temporary, and this causes people to use more. Becoming dependent on opioids can be deadly. Here are a few reasons why opioids are so dangerous:
- They are addictive and account for more than 16,000 deaths in the U.S.
- A large dose can cause respiratory failure and death.
- Can cause side effects such as depression, sedation, and constipation.
- Can cause more serious side effects such as amenorrhea, testosterone depletion, and immunosuppression.
- Can increase the risk of birth defects of the baby’s brain, heart, spine and abdominal wall.
It is important to understand the dangers of opioids and always consider chiropractic care as the safe and more effective alternative.